By now, you probably already heard about new release of Civil 3D - called Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2015. If you would like to give it a trial run and see how it works, you can download free trial version from here.
The first thing you will notice when you open it is that the interface looks different using that dark theme. Next is optimizing graphic performance and stability when working with larger models. This is platform change that comes from vanilla AutoCAD. We may write about that in the future in greater detail but for now let’s cover some significant changes in Civil 3D.
We continued with 2013-2015 model interoperability. For the most part you should be able to go back and forth between versions. There are some specifics you need to be aware of and they are documented in help.
- You may notice some general performance and stability and some previously known issues were resolved.
- Point Cloud Performance is also improved. With introduction of new point cloud object you may feel smoother and faster experience when interacting with point cloud and 3D.
- We still have our legacy point cloud tools, such as creating points and building surfaces.
- New point cloud objects navigation will be smoother.
- Corridor frequency (target and baseline)
- Corridor sampling improvements
- Retain corridor targets when substituting a sub-assembly
- Extend curves and tangents to profile extents
- Create Free curve using Pass Through point
- Change Parameter Constraint (selected curve)
- New “Profile Locking” controls and display notifications for impacted Vertical Alignment entities if Horizontal Alignment changes
- Re-associate various Surface and Alignment labels to different Civil 3D source objects
- Stagger “Corridor Point” section labels
- Improved consistency between the AutoCAD Civil 3D and AutoCAD ribbon / command set.
- Improved graphics, enhanced visual feedback and object selection.
- Enhanced export capabilities for DWG™ and DGN
- Export Civil 3D model elements (corridor models, surfaces, alignments/profiles, and gravity and pressure pipes) and 3D solid AutoCAD modeling objects to Keyhole Markup Language (KML).
- Open and edit AutoCAD Civil 3D 2015 drawings in AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 and 2013 software.