ICE manual of structural design: buildings is the definitive reference for practicing civil and structural engineers involved in the design of buildings.
Written and edited by recognized experts from industry and academia, the manual delivers best practice knowledge and practical guidance, covering all key aspects of building design in a single volume. The manual takes a practical, three-part approach to the structural design process – addressing fundamental principles, concept design and detailed design – highlighting essential calculations and techniques.
- Accessible, practical solutions to common design issues.
- Richly illustrated, allowing clear visual representation of complex principles, calculations and techniques.
- Case studies and examples, illustrating practical application of theoretical principles.
- Extensively referenced, providing a wide variety of further resources for detailed information.
Part of the ICE manuals series, ICE manual of structural design: buildings is an invaluable resource for all practicing engineers seeking best practice guidance in the structural design of buildings, regardless of their specialty or individual contribution to building projects.
Part of the ICE manuals series, ICE manual of structural design is the essential reference for all structural engineers involved in the design of buildings and other structures. The manual takes a project oriented approach, covering key issues that design professionals face at the outset of a project such as sustainability, risk management and how to understand the client’s needs, before going on to cover the core issues of concept design and the detailed design of structural components.
ICE manual of structural design
• Approaches the key issues relating to design as they would arise on a typical project
• Provides an understanding of the key structural design issues at concept designstage
• Gives practical advice on designing structural components to Eurocode specifications
- Section 1: Fundamentals
- Managing risk in structural
- Core knowledge
- Design for life
- Computational design and analysis
- Section 2: Concept design
- Key issues for buildings
- Typical issues for generic building
- Tall buildings
- How buildings fail
- Fire protection
- Soil-structure interaction
- Movement and tolerances
- Section 3: Detailed design
- Structural glass