Why use VisualAnalysis?
You have choices in the marketplace for general-purpose FEA tools but VisualAnalysis shines in a number of areas:
- Excellent for everyday projects.
- Great for unusual projects, and large, complicated models.
- Three feature and price levels available: Compare Levels.
- Building-code support is optional, use it for mechanical applications too.
- Extremely versatile: model just about anything!
- Reporting is extremely powerful and very flexible (save your own styles)
- So easy to use, most customers are productive within hours of installing
- Over 3000 companies use IES tools: one part-time support person at IES! (Think about it, our products don't need support!)
- Frames, Trusses, Grids, Beams, Tanks...
- Beam or Truss Members, Plate/Shell Elements
- Elastic Spring Supports
- Auto-meshed Areas (for easy wall or slab modeling)**
- Tension-only/Compression-only members or spring-supports
- Cartesian, Polar, Cylindrical or Spherical Coordinates
- No built-in size limit (20,000+ nodes are practical)
- Typical Manufactured Shapes: Steel, Wood, Aluminum, Cold-formed
- Parametric, Custom or Shapes imported from ShapeBuilder
- Just about any Material, Libraries included, Customizable!
- CAD-style selection box
- Generate linear copies
- Simple, Rigid, Semi-Rigid** Connections
- Catenary Cable Elements**
- Many Ways to Construct Models:
- Sketch models graphically
- Copy & Paste existing objects
- Import/Export .DXF files
- Import from Spreadsheet/Clipboard
- Legacy or Interchange .STD files (basic model & loading)
- Customizable parametric generation
- Automatic Load Cases & Load Combinations
- Updated! Built-in Support for IBC 2012, IBC 2010, ASCE7-10, etc. Combinations
- Customizable Load Combinations.
- Semi-Automatic ASCE 7 Wind Loads (Method 2)
- Ice + Wind pressure on Members (e.g. open towers)
- AASHTO Load Sources (optional)
- Copy Multiple Loads from Member to Member
- Import Loads from a Spreadsheet/Clipboard
- Static Loads: Concentrated, Distributed, Pressure, Thermal, etc.
- Area Loads (keeps model and loads separated so changes are easy!)
- Area Edge Loads (in or out of plane)
- Dynamic Response Spectra, IBC & Customizable
- Dynamic Forcing Function, Time HIstory analysis**
- Moving Loads** (limited, e.g. crane beams, single load-line)
- Automatic live-load pattern load combinations**
- Import Load Combinations**
Analysis & Results
- Static Analysis (1st order, P-Delta, Iterated)
- AISC Direct Analysis (notional loads, stiffness reduction)**
- Dynamic Analysis (Sparse Lanzcos, Newmark)
- Superposition Results and Envelopes**
- Member Internal Forces, Displacements, Diagrams
- Plate Forces, Stress, Contour Diagrams,
- Edge Results
- Automatic Mesh Refinement with Auto-Meshed Areas**
- Nodal Reactions, Displacements
- Graphical Results Viewing
- Sophisticated, Customizable Text Reports
- Spreadsheet report, and save directly Excel XLS**
Design Checks & Building Codes
- Smart and flexible setup: bracing, deflection checks, size constraints
- Updated! Steel AISC 360-10 or CSA S16-14 Design for frame and truss members *
- Updated! Concrete ACI 318-11 Design of Beams, Columns, Flat Slabs (ACI)*
- Updated! Wood NDS 2012 Design for frame and truss members (NDS)*
- Updated! Aluminum ADM 2010 Design for frame and truss members (ADM)*
- Updated! Cold-Formed NAS 2012 Design for frame and truss members (NAS)*
RSG Software's CFS is used internally to perform these checks
- Visual bracing locations
- Steel seismic compactness checks
- Stress & Deflection Checks (code agnostic, any material)**
- Integrated Steel Connection Design** via VAConnect
- Steel warping torsion checks**
- Override intermediate values or parameters (e.g. Cb, Fy, wood C factors...)**
- Moving Loads and Dynamic results are now checked**
- Windows XP, Vista, 7.0, or 8.0. Both 32-bit and 64-bit. (VA is a 32-bit program)
- Any modern CPU: faster is better.
- 1 GB RAM, minimum
- 1024x768 minimum recommended display resolution
- Recommended: A high-quality graphics card, 128+ MB RAM, OpenGL 2.1+ support, with an updated driver! Update and then set your video card to 'Highest Quality' mode.
- Wheel-mouse. (3-buttons)
- ~50 MB disk space for programs, program data, utilities and libraries
- Typical project files range from 1K to 1MB
- Internet connection required for documentation
- Not supported: Windows 98, ME, 2000, NT, Virtual PC (limited graphics)
- Not supported: Linux, Unix, Apple iOS. (Emulators may work, but we don't support)
- Custom Shapes through IES ShapeBuilder (sold separately)
- Spread Footing Design through IES QuickFooting (sold separately)
- Mat Foundation Design through IES VisualFoundation (sold separately)
- Integration with Autodesk Revit Structure with IES VARevitLink** (free with advanced)
- Import and Export: DXF, STD, SDNF, TXT, XLS
- Batch Analysis for command-line operation, programmatic access
- Not an 'ANSYS' or 'NASTRAN'; VisualAnalysis is practical, down-to-earth friendly!
- Not a 'turn-key' system for building or truss design. You decide the layout, pick initial member sizes, etc. (No automatic total structural optimization.)
- Does not run inside or integrated with AutoCAD (or any other CAD tool)
- No internal pipe pressures
- No orthotropic materials (linear isotropic only)
- No solid (brick) elements
- No curved beams (you may simulate through 'chords')
- No staged loading
- No nonlinear buckling analysis, full plastic analysis, pushover analysis
- No pre-stressed or post-tensioned concrete design
- No specialized bridge design (multiple lanes, code checks)
REQUEST AN EVALUATION VERSION OF THIS SOFTWARE
|BECOME A MEMBER TO REQUEST AN EVALUATION VERSION|